MAR - Museo d'Arte della Città di Ravenna - collezioni permanenti
Inaugurated in 1829 as the Galleria dell’Accademia di Belle Arti, the Pinacoteca del Museo d'Arte della Città di Ravenna was transferred around 1970-72 to its current premises of the Monastery of Santa Maria in Porto, an architectural structure better known today as the Loggetta Lombardesca. The art collections from religious orders abolished under Napoleon, and subsequent donations from private individuals - which were followed by new acquisitions of works of art made by the municipality in the post-unity period - constituted the core assets of the original gallery.
The Loggetta is currently home to three permanent collections open to the public: the famous Tullio Lombardo statue of Guidarello Guidarelli sculpted in 1525 which is the subject of popular legends and romantic attention - and the bust of Sant'Apollinare, patron saint of the city, sculpted by the Danish sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen in 1822.
The historic collection, which consists of works dating from the 14th to 18th centuries, includes many painters from Romagna: Marco Palmezzano, Baldassarre Carrari, Giovan Battista Bertucci, Francesco Zaganelli, Girolamo Marchesi, Niccolò Rondinelli, Andrea Barbiani, Luca, Francesco and Barbara Longhi, are strongly featured. There are also important works by painters from Bologna, Ferrara, Veneto and Tuscany - including Guercino, Bastianino, Vivarini, Vasari, Cecco Bravo - a testimony of the range of artistic styles which has influenced the Ravenna area.
The gallery of modern art contains many works dating from the beginning of the 19th century to the first half of the 20th. Paintings and sculptures by artists from Romagna and Ravenna, mostly students at the local Academy of Fine Arts, represent the most significant part of this collection, which includes works by Ugonia, Pazzini, Torchi, Guaccimanni, Miserocchi, Saporetti, Rambelli, Toschi, Baccarini, Varoli and Salietti.
- Indirizzo: Via di Roma, 13
- Città: Ravenna (RA)
- Tel: +39 0544 482477